The Alumni Association of Sioux Valley Hospital School of Nursing Scholarship Application
The Alumni Association of Sioux Valley Hospital School of Nursing is proud of its nursing heritage and its profession. While the school was still in existence, the school provided a Scholarship Trust Fund to students enrolled in this three-year diploma program. Since the school’s closure in 1986, the alumni remained active until 2019. At that time, The Alumni worked with Sanford USD Medical Center's Center for Learning to create an online application process so these scholarships could continue to be granted. This scholarship is for students entering their junior or senior year.
The primary purpose of the Alumni and the scholarship Trust Committee is to promote nursing as a profession and to provide monetary support to qualified applicants. The Alumni would like to extend this invitation to you and encourage you to apply for a nursing scholarship.
These scholarships are available to junior or senior nursing students enrolled in educational programs leading to a baccalaureate degree in nursing: or to students in a master’s degree nursing program. The nursing program, in which the applicant is enrolled, must be nationally accredited—such as the National League of Nursing or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Selection of Recipients
Applicants will be reviewed equally and they may be prioritized (depending upon the need) in the following manner when the selection process is made.
1. Undergraduate nursing students—entry level nursing program.
2. Applicants must be enrolled in a nationally accredited nursing program.
3. Applicants who do not hold a RN license or who do not have a college degree in a different field.
4. SVHSN Alumni--current members* (Undergraduate or graduate level) may be considered based on the number of applicants, however, priority will be given to those applicants who do not hold an RN license.
5. Alumni children/grandchildren pursuing a career/degree in nursing*
6. Sanford Health (Sioux Valley Hospital Employees)—enrolled in nursing.
7. Students who are members of the armed forces or who are a veteran will be ranked within the same selection process as an alumnus, alumni relative or a Sanford Health employee.
8. If an increased number of applicants is received, priority will be given to students who are attending local/regional colleges or universities.
Criteria for Applicants
The applicant/student is enrolled in a nationally accredited nursing program.
1. The applicant/student is enrolled in a bachelors’ in nursing program.
a. The applicant/student must be a junior or senior of the incoming year to be
considered for this scholarship.
b. The applicant/student must have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or greater.
2. The applicant/student will submit official online application forms
3. Applicants/students enrolled in a nursing accelerated program may be considered, but priority will be given to those applicants who do not hold a degree prior to entering a nursing baccalaureate program.
4. The applicant/student will submit an official online application through Sanford USD Medical Center's link.
Applicants will be required to complete the following forms:
1. Application Form
2. Three (3) Reference Forms—the references used are not to be personal friends or relatives; faculty members or employers are highly recommended; the forms are to be submitted by the individual via the online application process.
3. Letter—This is a narrative account of personal and professional goals, past achievements, and other information/circumstances that would be helpful for the Alumni Trust Committee when assessing the financial need, and when making the selection process.
4. Transcript of Previous Work (College/University)
5. Verification of Acceptance in a nationally accredited nursing Accredited program
6. Courses currently enrolled or future courses to be enrolled in.
All application forms must be completed and returned through the online application process by November 15th. Applicants will be informed about scholarships by the fall semester.
All questions should be directed to Pam Koepsell at email@example.com or 605-312-3938